[Lexicog] dictionary software

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Wed Mar 17 21:47:35 UTC 2004

I am just getting started consulting with someone who has been working in an
Amerindian language and would like to compile a bilingual dictionary. He
asked about the software options he could consider. I said Shoebox has been
an obvious choice for a number of years, but LinguaLinks might be preferable
for someone just starting out. I have some (slight?) problems with both of
these. For our dictionary of St. Lucian Creole, we used a program I designed
myself, which I called my Dictionary Database Editor. (I started writing and
using this program before I ever heard of Shoebox.) Both the advantage and
disadvantage of my own program are that it is designed for use with one
particular language. Both the advantage and disadvantage of Shoebox and
LinguaLinks are that they are designed to work with any language.

This consultee says he will consider both Shoebox and LinguaLinks but he
also wants to know what else might be available. Any comments or other
suggestions? He happened to say he thought the Hopi Dictionary was beautiful
and wondered what software was used. I said I might be able to find out. So
what dictionary software did you use on the Hopi Dictionary, Ken Hill? I
imagine it might have been something designed for that particular project.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM