[Lexicog] dictionary software

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Thu Mar 18 17:08:04 UTC 2004

Thank you, Eeva, for the information about the TshwaneLex software for compiling dictionaries. I thought that name looked familiar, and when I did a search of my lexicographlist archives I found that David Joffe had posted a message on Feb. 11 telling us about TshwaneLex. At that time, though, I wasn't looking for something like that and I forgot about it. With a little more digging, I also found a link to TshwaneLex on the Yahoo Lexicographylist web site, under links | software. I also got reminded that Hayim Sheynin was asking about dictionary compilation software on March 1 and 10, but as far as I can see, there was no public response to his query.

TshwaneLex looks like it has some potential, and I will pass on the information I have to the linguist I know who is looking for dictionary compilation software. I cannot see what a license for TshwaneLex would cost. There is supposed to be a discount for those working on endangered languages, and I think we should qualify for that. We would also still like to hear any other recommendations concerning dictionary compilation software.

-- David Frank
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: eeva_gutt
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 5:29 AM
  Subject: Re: [Lexicog] dictionary software

  There is a new software developed in South Africa, called TshwaneLex
  "TshwaneLex is a new software application for the compilation of dictionaries. TshwaneLex supports Unicode throughout, allowing it to handle virtually all of the world's languages, and includes features such as immediate article preview, customizable fields, automatic cross-reference tracking, automated lemma reversal, online and electronic dictionary modules, export to MS Word format, and teamwork (network) support."

  For more information: http://tshwanedje.com/tshwanelex

  Eeva Gutt

  SIL, Ethiopia