[Lexicog] dictionary software

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Thu Mar 18 21:47:53 UTC 2004

I have now posted a web page with information about the Dictionary Database
Editor software that I wrote and that we used to produce the Kwéyòl
Dictionary (copyright 2001, SIL). You can check out the following link if
you are interested in the design of software for compiling dictionaries:
http://linguafranka.net/saintluciancreole/dictionarysoftware.htm. Note that
I am not putting this program forth as something that others could use for
languages other than St. Lucian Creole. I am just showing this to stimulate
thinking and discussion on dictionary software design. I believe that
ideally, from a user's point of view, a dictionary program should be
intuitive and should constrain the choices to only what might be suitable
for the purpose at hand. In other words, there are disadvantages to a
program being too powerful. This program is not perfect but it has proven
simple enough for a mother-tongue speaker with a limited education to use.

I have now also put a link to this web page on the Yahoo lexicography list
web site, under Software under Links.

Note to Hayim Sheynin: I believe the Multi Dictionary Formatter (MDF) is
used for outputting a formatted dictionary for publication, but it depends
on a separate program like Shoebox or Toolbox for data entry and editing.

-- David Frank