[Lexicog] sit vs. sit

Guy Gambill gambillgt1 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 20 18:06:03 UTC 2004

Hi Wayne,

    http://www.bartleby.com/61/9/S0290900.html

 for usages of "set" in English..."can" also be looked up. It's a matter
of the animacy or inanimacy of the sustantive in Cheyenne, no...in
English this translates (for meaning) to the nature of the direct object,
which has no bearing.
   Perhaps the verb, "stand"?

Guy

Wayne Leman <wayne_leman at sil.org> wrote:
> In English, I think we differentiate between 'sit' and 'set'. 'Set'
generally means to cause something (inanimate object) to 'sit'. Does that
fit your data?

> Lou

No. Both instances of 'sit' are for intransitive stems (differentiated by
whether the subject is animate or inanimate). We do have a 'set' but it
would be for transitive stems. Thanks for the idea, Lou.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language