[Lexicog] New to the list-Introduction

lexicography2004 lexicography2004 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 20 18:43:50 UTC 2004

Hello/Hallo/Hola/Boozhou,

   I am new to the list and would like to take the opportunity
to introduce myself. My name is Guy Gambill and, for the most
part, I have been involved-to date-with assisting two web-sites
in the presentation of lexical data for the www; freelang and
the Rosetta Project. Freelang-as its name would indicate-is
a community of translators, sw developers, novices (in the
areas of lexicography and linguistics), and other volunteers
who seek to present freeware versions of downloadable dictionaries
for the global community. The English page of Freelang currently
presents dictionaries (in some cases more properly deemed
lexicons or lexical lists) in 61 languages. The quality of
the versions varies from very good to fairly limited. The
Hungarian, Finnish, French, Estonian, Ukranian, Russian versions-
for example-are quite expansive. Some of the other versions are
limited. Anyone who wishes to participate is welcome to create
a dictionary module-for any language-and upload it to the
site webmaster. Updates, edits, or additions to dictionaries
would also be welcome. I, personally, have been involved in
versions of 2 Celtic languages (Manx being a decent resource,
Cornish not so decent) and with Basque-with the assistance of
several others-before moving on to working on Native American
languages. I did a conversion of Professor Campbell's Nahuatl
wordlist based on the Florentine Codex, a Quechua version (Bolivian),
an Ojibwe version (with help from several very helpful and kind
persons), an Abenaki version (based on J. Laurent's 1874 dict
and grammar), and now a Cheyenne version--with the kind and
patient assistance of Mr. Lehman...I will probably be working on
this for some time to come::)) I have others in the works.
The program is somewhat limited at present, but it has its
advantages. It is very user-friendly, allows the storage and
playback of audio files, allows a variety of fonts-which can
be expanded on request of the webmaster (until such time as
unicode is added), etcetera.
   I began working as a volunteer for freelang in the hope
that one freeware site might be created which would offer the
public a wide variety of languages (in dict format) for
easy reference and study. This is largely a tool for beginners
or those at an intermediate level-though experts might find
it handy for topical lists, specialized lexical lists, etcetera.
   As can be attested by a review of the site, the participants
represent a multinational effort; Dutch, French, Thai, Indian,
participants from various middle-eastern nations, Spaniards,
Hungarians, Russians, and Americans-amongst others-have all
contributed, and continue to contribute, to the work on the
site.
   If anyone is interested in participating, give it a look.

   Over the course of the next month or so I hope to familiarize
myself with the list and, perhaps, make a contribution to the
community.

Nice to meet everyone!

Guyemail: gambillgt1 at yahoo.com

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511