[Lexicog] Sorting

Sean M. Burke sburke at CPAN.ORG
Sun Mar 21 07:02:15 UTC 2004

At 06:39 PM 2004-03-20, Mike Maxwell wrote:
>if your alphabet doesn't follow one of the standards (as is likely to be
>true if you're creating an orthography for a previously unwritten
>language, you may be even further up the creek when it comes to using
>standard sort routines.

For all sorting tasks, large or small, I've found that Perl is quite
indispensible.

And for internationalized sorting, I wrote a Perl module to automate the
generation of sort functions:
http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/Sort-ArbBiLex/
I even wrote a Perl Journal article about it:
http://interglacial.com/~sburke/tpj/tpj14_i18n_sort_orders.txt
If you want it printed up all pretty, it's available as a chapter in the
third /Best of The Perl Journal/ book:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/tpj3/

--
Sean M. Burke    http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/