[Lexicog] dictionary software

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Sun Mar 21 16:50:50 UTC 2004

The Hopi Dictionary Project used (and I continue to use) a DOS program
called Notebook II, by a now-defunct company called Pro/Tem Software.
Notebook II is the best software I have yet discovered for dictionary
making, but it works only in a DOS window and uses only ASCII characters.
It might work on a Mac if one has Soft-PC.

Notebook has open fields, i.e., one can type in just about as much as one
wants in a field. Our field for example sentences is sometimes quite
large.

One can search for any string in any field, or for that matter, any string
in a whole record, and one can create a "view" of all and only the records
that contain (or do not contain) a specified string or set of strings,
with full Boolean possibilities, including contains, does not contain,
greater than, less than, etc.

To print, one needs to define a report format and then process the report,
once "printed" to a file, in one's favorite word processor.

The only way I know of to get a copy is for me, or someone else who has a
copy, to provide it. I was told by the former head of Pro/Tem that there
was no restriction in distributing this because the interested commercial
provider no longer exists, but I was also advised to tell anyone to whom I
give a copy that there is no entity to offer support. Unfortunately my
only copy of the instruction manual was lent to a student who disn't
return it as promised and then left the country. But Notebook has very
useful help screens that in fact answer just about all the questions one
would ask of the manual.

I'll let you know more if there is any interest and/or if people have
direct questions.

--Ken Hill