[Lexicog] sit vs. sit

Koontz John E john.koontz at COLORADO.EDU
Sun Mar 21 19:08:27 UTC 2004

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Wayne Leman wrote:
> > In the Siouan languages the analogs of the 'sit/set, 'lie/lay', 'stand'
> > verbs are termed positionals.  Is that the term you're looking for, Wayne?
>
> Not really, John. I just needed some English word to act as a keyword by
> which I could extract from my lexical database the intransitive verbs
> which have inanimate subjects and an ending (the Algonquian language
> label is "final", from Bloomfield). I was hoping for some simple synonym
> of 'sit' which I already have in use for the morphologically
> corresponding intransitive verbs with animate subjects and 'sit' finals.

Can you use artificial constructions such as sit-II and sit-AI or posit or
loc?  Unfortunately set won't work, because it's sit-TI/TA ...  English
doesn't do much with animate vs. inanimate in this area.

> I suspect that the Sioun positionals may not be as morphologically
> transparent as are the Algonquian finals for 'sit' (or 'be at'), but, of
> course, there would be some functional similarities.

No, they're pretty transparent, though not the same stems as the
independent lexical verbs 'sit', 'stand', 'lie' and 'walk'.  In this area
the Siouan languages are very agglutinative.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM