[Lexicog] concordance programs

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 22 03:02:19 UTC 2004

I found a freeware oncordance program that worked fine, right from the
start, for me, under Windows XP. (It will work with earlier versions of
Windows also.) There is also a version customized for running under Linux.
The program is called AntConc2.5.3, and is available for download from URL:

http://antpc1.ice.ous.ac.jp/

Scroll down about halfway down the page, looking for the "Software" section.
The program requires no installation. Simply click on the filename. I also
suggest you download the README file for it, also.

I also found some other concordance programs available from Internet
websites, but they require payment and I like to try out a program first to
find out if it does what I need, before purchasing it.

I'll see what this program thinks of some Cheyenne text. (Cheyenne verbs can
be 50 or more letters long!).

OK, back to other lexicography topics now, altho for some who are involved
in corpus linguistics and lexicography, concordance programs are essential
for lexical work. (Note the Longmans dictionary of American English, based
on Jack du Bois' 5 million word corpus of American English)

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language