[Lexicog] dictionary software

Koontz John E john.koontz at COLORADO.EDU
Mon Mar 22 19:55:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Peter Kirk wrote:
> If o with umlaut and acute is not already supported by Unicode as a
> single code point, it never will be, because a decision has been made
> not to support new precomposed characters, on the grounds that these are
> unnecessary (and potentially extremely numerous!). But Unicode does
> support this grapheme as a sequence of code points, o umlaut followed by
> combining acute accent. Suitable software should be able to hide
> entirely from the user that there is an underlying code point sequence.

I've always thought this was a very elegant aspect of Unicode design, and
was a bit disappointed when the project compromised to include various
pre-composed forms, although this compromise was, of course, politically
essential to get the European group in agreement.  But is such suitable
software available for Windows screen display, Windows printing, not to
mention Windows sorting?