[Lexicog] sit vs. sit

Richard Rhodes rrhodes at COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Mar 22 20:01:52 UTC 2004

Wayne,
	You've gotten a lot of good suggestions, but ...

English sit is part of a three-way system of verbs of location that
are distinguished by the shape and orientation of the object in
question, regardless of its animacy. (This sounds rather Athabaskan.)
Various versions of this are found in all Germanic languages. It
works like this:

stand	object with a single predominant dimension is located in a place
	oriented vertically, supported from the bottom.

	He was standing outside the door.
	The vase was standing on the desk.

stand	object without a third predominant dimension is located in a place
	oriented horizontally, supported from the bottom.

	He was lying outside the door.
	The book was lying on the desk.

sit	object with three predominant dimensions is located in a place,
	supported from the bottom.

	He was sitting outside the door.
	The cup was sitting on the desk.

(You have to say something about the support because if the object is
on a vertical surface or the bottom of a horizontal surface, you are
required to use a verb that references how the object remains in
place, e.g. The paper is *lying on/stuck on the wall. If you say The
paper is lying on the wall. It can only mean that the wall has no
ceiling or roof attached and the paper is lying on the top of it. You
can work out ceilings for yourself.)

Notice that people can change shape. The various Germanic languages
differ in how the extensions of these prototypes work. English,
extends stand to what animals do when all their legs are extended
supporting them. German often uses setzen 'sit' in metaphorical
contexts, where English would use lie (or be or something else).

In meiner Brust da sitzt ein Weh. 'Within my breast there lies an
ache' (Heine poem, trans. by Emily Ezust)
Das Glück sitzt im Gehirn. 'Happiness resides in the brain.' (Title
of a recent research article, my translation)

It's also worth noting that some locative is almost obligatory, esp.
when the subject is inanimate.

	The ladder is standing *(next to the shed).
	The boy is standing (next to the shed).

	The cup is sitting *(on the table).
	The man is sitting (on the table).

	The log is lying *(across the driveway).
	The girl is lying (across the driveway).

	*The ladder is standing up.
	The boy is standing up.

	*The cup is sitting down.
	The man is sitting down.

	*The log is lying down.
	The girl is lying down.

What does this all mean for Cheyenne lexicography? Probably that
there should be a BE_IN_A_PLACE category as Ron suggests, or better,
BE_AT, since the relevant verbs are all relative roots and the
complement isn't included in the verb form. It just appears that it
is sometimes because null complements are possible.

This question brings up a good theoretical point. We have to be every
bit as sophisticated about the semantics of the glossing language as
we are about the semantics of the target language. English (or French
or Spanish) aren't truly metalanguages. We just tend to use them that
way. A point frequently missed.

Rich

>Longman's Language Activator puts this meaning of 'sit' under their domain
>'Place', although interestingly they don't list 'sit' as one of the words.
>However I set up a separate subdomain for 'Be in a place', since PLACE is a
>primitive in NSM and a major section heading in my system. LLA separates the
>notion 'be in a place' into two lexical sets, (1) ways of saying that an
>object is in a particular place, (be, stand, lie) (2) ways of saying that
>something, such as a country, town, building, or organization is in a
>particular place (be, lie, be situated, be located, be sited, stand, be
>based). If you want a single English word to capture this idea, I think a
>good option would be 'located' (as in 'be located', not 'has been located',
>which means 'discovery the location of').
>
>Ron

Richard A. Rhodes
Associate Dean, Undergraduate Division
Interim Director, Office of Undergraduate Advising
College of Letters & Science
113 Campbell Hall
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-2924