[Lexicog] Sorting

William J Poser billposer at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 22 22:30:43 UTC 2004

David,

What I meant about storing sort handles in the database
being somewhat of a problem if you need to sort on multiple
keys is that for each key you need a sort handle, so if you have
more than one sort key, you end up storing multiple handles.
If storage isn't an issue (as it isn't really, these days) and
you can generate the handles by means of programs, then this isn't
a big problem, but it does mean more work and more clutter.

I don't think I've ever encountered a situation in which
I wanted to make ad hoc changes to the way things sorted
except in the case of inverse headwords, where it wasn't just
the sort order that was affected but the form of the
inverse headword itself. Rather than generating
inverse headwords automatically, I do have a field for them.
The contents of that field was originally generated by a
program, but I can fix things up by editing it manually.

Bill

--
Bill Poser, Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~wjposer/ billposer at alum.mit.edu