[Lexicog] Sorting

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 22 23:00:33 UTC 2004

Shoebox can sort on any field and on multiple fields. For instance if you
have the following fields, you can sort first on part of speech (\ps), then
on noun class (\nc), then on CV pattern (\cv), then on tone pattern (\tn),
then on the lexical item (\lx) to yield a sorting of each tone class.

\lx muntu
\cv CVNCV
\tn HL
\ps n
\nc 1/2
\de person

You can also sort from the end of the field (but only on the first field you
specify, which can be any field). You can also filter the records using a
very powerful syntax. For instance you can filter out all phrases if you
don't want phrases mixed in with your single word tone classes. You can also
set up multiple views of the database in column format. Each view is in a
different window and the windows can be in cascade or tile format. For
instance in one window you can display the lexical item, part of speech, and
definition and sort on the lexical item. In another window you can display
the same fields but sort from the end of the lexical item so you can study
suffixes. In another window you can sort for tone pattern as described
above. In another you can display the lexical item, part of speech,
definition, and semantic domain, and sort on the semantic domain. The
combination of these three features is very powerful.

Ron