[Lexicog] Sorting

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 22 23:10:39 UTC 2004

You can't turn sorting off in Shoebox. The default is to sort by the key
field and the file is always saved in this order. You can display the file
in any sort order you want, but the underlying sort order is always by the
key field. You can also sort the file on some field other than the key
field, and then export it to disk. When Shoebox exports the file, you have
the option of reordering the records according to this new sort order. You
also have the option of moving the sort field to the beginning of the record
and making it the new key field. In this way you can generate various types
of indexes for printing. You can even load the new database into Shoebox,
and have the original database and the new database in separate windows.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: David Frank [mailto:david_frank at sil.org]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 3:28 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Sorting

Wayne --

After you wrote back, I took a quick look at Shoebox (which I should have
done earlier), and I saw that it did have a good way of specifying which
field to sort on first, then second, etc. One other question is whether you
can turn sorting on and off. Can you turn off sorting and have the records
stay in the order they are in, with new records being stored either at the
end or any other particular places you want to store them?

-- David