[Lexicog] dictionary software

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 22 23:40:54 UTC 2004

I was in the Phillipines in the 80s and used their system to format the
Maguindanaon dictionary for publication. The Phillipines system has been
supplanted by Multi Dictionary Formatter (MDF), which automates and
simplifies the export process out of Shoebox. It has a few limitations and
there are efforts being made to fix the problems. But for most applications
it is very user friendly and does lots of nice things.

We solve the sorting/folding problems in Shoebox/MDF by setting up two
fields, \lx lexical item (for the stem), and \lc lexical citation form:

\lx ntu
\lc muntu
\ps n

\lx bala
\lc kubala
\ps v

When we print, we sort by the \lc field and export with it as the key field.
The \lx is a throw away for the printed dictionary, but is useful within
Shoebox for sorting and interlinearization where you want an unaffixed form.

You could fold the entry in the \lc field:

\lx kubba kiyo
\lc kiyo, kubba
\ps phr

I've developed automated routines using SIL's Consistent Changes program to
generate one field from the other, so that you don't have to type them both.

Ron Moe
SIL, Uganda