[Lexicog] literal vs figurative meanings

Chaz and Helga Mortensen chaz_mortensen at SIL.ORG
Thu Mar 25 12:32:36 UTC 2004

Ken wrote:

How would you recommend handling a word where the figurative meaning is more
commonly used than the literal meaning?

I have in mind the word sïbaɣa "customary portion" (of meat) fig.
"inheritance". In the case of this word, the set expression sïbaɣasïn aldï
should be translated "he received appropriate punishment", "he got his just
deserts", "he got what was coming to him" "he got what he deserved", etc.
This set expression has become the primary environment in which this word is
used.  Should this be treated as an additional sense, or a separate
headword? Should the figurative meaning be listed ahead of the literal
meaning?

Chaz responds:

In my limited experience I have kept cases like these under the same entry
and provided as many definitions as necessary; this means sometimes I use
different sense numbers. In a case like you provide, Ken, I would probably
use two illustrative sentences.

If the literal meaning is almost never used I would put it in an
etymological note and make the figurative meaning the principal definition.

FWIW,

Cha