[Lexicog] literal vs figurative meanings

Lou Hohulin lou_hohulin at SIL.ORG
Thu Mar 25 22:27:25 UTC 2004

"Kenneth Keyes" <ken_keyes at sil.org> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> How would you recommend handling a word where the figurative meaning is more commonly used than the literal meaning?
>
> I have in mind the word sïbaɣa "customary portion" (of meat) fig. "inheritance". In the case of this word, the set expression sïbaɣasïn aldï should be translated "he received appropriate punishment", "he got his just deserts", "he got what was coming to him" "he got what he deserved", etc.  This set expression has become the primary environment in which this word is used.  Should this be treated as an additional sense, or a separate headword? Should the figurative meaning be listed ahead of the literal meaning?

I agree with Chaz. He suggested treating the set expression that is most commonly used now as the primary sense. Treat the original meaning as a secondary sense, but with an annotation about the change in meaning and use. It is not too unusual to have figurative senses becoming secondary senses and then, primary senses in languages.

Chaz suggested an etymological annotation as explanation of the original primary meaning. That's a good suggestion. Since I use LinguaLinks, there are any number of choices for annotations, and I put meanings that fit within a cultural context that has changed in an encylopedic annotation so that I can give the context of its 'former' use.

Incidentally, in Tuwali Ifugao there are a number of special 'meat portion' words that are still used because whenever there is a feast, different portions of the pigs and carabao butchered go to relatives depending on the 'nearness of the relationships'.

Lou