[Lexicog] MDF

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Fri Mar 26 21:26:50 UTC 2004

Kim Blewett asked (Marcy 23), "Can someone please clarify for me: Is it true
that the old Philippines dictionary project is the "papa" of
MDF--Multi-Dictionary Formatter--which is built into Shoebox/Toolbox for
formatting and printing dictionaries?"

I have now had a chance to check what I remembered. The Multi-Dictionary
Formatter (originally Maluku Dictionary Formatter) was developed by David
Coward and Chuck Grimes in Indonesia. Coward had contributed to the
development of Shoebox, which also came out of Indonesia. The works of Len
Newell and Marc Jacobson in the Philippines, among other things, were used
as resources in the development of MDF. MDF was originally released as a
supplement to Shoebox, for formatting data in SIL standard format.

-- David Frank

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM