[Lexicog] Re: Etymological dictionaries

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 29 18:34:17 UTC 2004

I've been using Shoebox to work on a dictionary of Koine Greek. It isn't
multilingual, but I've had to set up multiple levels for etymological
information. I've also managed multilingual wordlists in Shoebox. So it can
handle both types of parameters. Since Shoebox permits the user to set up
his own fields, you aren't limited by an inflexible code. So you could set
up a record structure such as:

\key Key field for organizing the database, e.g. a proto-Mayan form or a
reference number
\pm Proto-Mayan reconstructed form
\pp Proto-Mayan part of speech
\pd Proto-Mayan definition

\lx1 current lexical item of language 1
\ps1 part of speech
\de1 definition
\ra1 reconstructed form at level 'a'
\rb1 reconstructed form at level 'b'
etc.

\lx2 current lexical item of language 2
\ps2 part of speech
\de2 definition
\ra2 reconstructed form at level 'a'
\rb2 reconstructed form at level 'b'
etc.

\lx3 current lexical item of language 3
\ps3 part of speech
etc.

\lg4 Language 4

As long as each field has a unique code, you can use all of Shoebox's power
to display, sort, and filter. I've used such databases to do a lot of
morphological and historical anaylsis. Shoebox wasn't designed for this
purpose, so it won't do everything you might want. For instance (with the
database structure above) it won't line up cognate forms in a column.
However it would be easy to manipulate the database so it would.

Ron Moe