[Lexicog] Online WRITTEN dictionaries

Sean M. Burke sburke at CPAN.ORG
Tue Mar 30 07:57:09 UTC 2004

At 12:11 AM 2004-03-29, Thapelo Otlogetswe wrote:
>Our aim is to have a collaborative work in which speakers of the language
>who have access to the internet can add entries and definitions. However
>such entries should be editable by the editors of the dictionary to ensure
>that high standards of lexicographic practices are adhered to. [...]

I wrote some software to do exactly that for some lexicons me and my
colleagues work on.

It's nothing fancy, and the software source itself isn't really available
publicly (simply because I haven't documented it), but I can set you guys
up lexicon accounts on my server so
http://haidalanguage.org/cgi-bin/lex/login
Just use the username "guest" and password "guest".

I implement the collaborative lexicon features by having record-locking --
that is, when you open an entry as an editor, the database marks the entry
is "checked out" so that nobody else can check it out for the next twenty
minutes (or until you save that entry, or log out).

There's also various ways that people can see what-all changes everyone's
been making to the lexicon --  the editors get a diff of the database every
other day or so, which says who added/changed/delete it, and exactly what
the changes were.

My system is very customizable; it's been used for about a dozen lexicons
of varying degrees of complexity.  The exact characteristics of each
lexicon are set by a Perl file.  You can see the Perl file for the Haida
lexicon by hitting "Advanced tools" on the main menu, and then hit "schema
source".

--
Sean M. Burke    http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511