[Lexicog] Digest Number 85

Jane Simpson jhs at MAIL.USYD.EDU.AU
Wed Mar 31 08:42:24 UTC 2004

One extra point to add to Bill Poser's nice posting on dictionaries and
native speakers.  There are some claims that fluent speakers of some
Australian languages are interested in English-Oz.lg direction
dictionaries, because they would like explanations of words like
'mortgage', 'dialysis', in a language they can understand.  Very often of
course this could be done by plain English definitions.  But I think some
speakers would like the definitions (paraphrases) in their own
language.

We (= Chris Manning, Miriam Corris, Susan Poetsch and I) have a paper
coming out some time in the International Journal of Lexicography which
tries to lay out some of the concerns for preparing dictionaries for
native speakers of less widely spoken languages.

Jane Simpson

Send the freshest Spring Flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Flowers are hand picked and shipped direct from the grower.  Freshness
guaranteed for 7 days or your money back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YykvkC/sZ2HAA/3jkFAA/HKE4lB/TM