[Lexicog] Shoebox: Are internal hyperlinks possible for export?

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Wed Mar 31 15:10:46 UTC 2004

Wayne, I was going to tell you about the online dictionaries that Norbert
Rennert had using Shoebox and having the kinds of links you wanted. It is a
beautiful job. In fact, if you look at the "Language Learning Library," you
can see texts on the screen as well as the dictionary, and when you double
click on any word in the text, that will take you to the appropriate entry
in the dictionary.

Norbert, I have a question for you. Does each letter have to have its own
HTML file (e.g. a.html, b.html, etc.) or could they all be put into one
file? If they were put into one file, then you could still use bookmarks to
find the beginning of each letter in the file. As it is, I wouldn't want to
try to use these dictionaries with a dial-up connection, because it would
take so long to load each file as it is needed. Of course if it were
distributed on CD, that wouldn't be as much of a problem. But it would seem
simpler and quicker if the whole dictionary could reside in one file. At any
rate, this is a very admirable job.

-- David Frank