[Lexicog] "lamb" as a metaphor

dtatjana dtatjana_68 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Fri May 7 13:56:49 UTC 2004

In most languages associations are probably much
alike. In Croatian, a lamb is a metaphor for an
inocent person and for a gentle one. Also the word can
be used as a part of gnomes and proverbs. For
instance, sacrificial lamb, which is already mentioned
here. I can now remember the proverb, literally
translated to english it would be "a meek lamb sucks
two teats", meaning - playing both sides, flattery
will get you everywhere.

Tatjana

--- Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:

---------------------------------
What is associated with the image "lamb" when
predicated of a person
in your language (not only English?
I can only think of "pious as a lamb" (lammfromm) in
German.
To my knowledge in English you can say "as innocent as
a lamb"
or "as docile/quiet/obedient as a lamb". And it can be
used with reference to someone who you are fond of and
who
is gentle and lovable.

Fritz Goerling

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor  ADVERTISEMENT