[Lexicog] Semantic domain dictionaries

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Thu May 13 17:55:51 UTC 2004

On 13/05/2004 08:42, Fritz Goerling wrote:

> So, Peter,
>
> How can this lack of living informants be overcome? Maybe semanticists
> who have worked
> on the OT corpus and whose mother tongue is modern Hebrew could be
> involved in this
> project at some point. Establishing a semantic domain  is
> already quite a subjective
> endeavour, especially when done by non-native speakers.
>
> Fritz Goerling

Excellent questions. Perhaps you can help us to answer the first one.
There are, however, some serious dangers in using modern Hebrew, as
there has been significant semantic shift in 2000 years, especially in
fitting categories first to Graeco-Roman and later to modern Western
semantic categories. In fact I would suspect that working with Arabs
might be more profitable, as Arabic has been less affected by western
thought patterns. But in either case there may well be semantic shifts
similar to the one which you have noted for BARAKA.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM