[Lexicog] semantic extension

Koontz John E john.koontz at COLORADO.EDU
Thu May 20 16:13:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Wayne Leman wrote:
> Yesterday I learned that the Cheyenne word for purse has been semantically
> extended to mean 'budget.' Interesting!

This is basically the extension behind forms like borse or bursar(y) and,
of course, expressions like "the communal purse."  I think the forms
involved originally meant 'bag'.

Along other lines, I've heard of travellers having problems with Spanish
terms they understood to mean "bag (suitable for placing purchases in)"
having been shifted in some areas to "woman's reproductive organ."
(Using more direct terms tends to get letters classified as spam these
days.)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM