[Lexicog] semantic extension

Koontz John E john.koontz at COLORADO.EDU
Fri May 21 08:00:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Koontz John E wrote:
> In Omaha-Ponca the word for workbag is uzhiha or 'in-put-skin'.  No
> connection with the next word, which was not tabooed as in English in
> the early days, though it is now.

Sorry - u'zhiha is the general word for 'bag'.  A woman's workbag is
uxthuxaha.  Modern 'purse', however, is maNzeska iuzhi 'in which to stick
money'.  I don't have a word for 'budget'.  Teton uses compounds meaning
'money bag' (purse) and 'to stretch money' (to budget).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM