[Lexicog] Buzz words

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri May 21 17:14:59 UTC 2004

From: Fritz Goerling

Wayne Leman started the conversation on "lacunae" and on "semantic
extensions". The latter is one answer to filling semantic gaps in
a language.
How about another one: Buzz words? What are their chances to enter
the dictionary? Suddenly words you have never heard before like
"paradigm shift", "proactive", "stakeholder", "capacity building"
are used all over the place. Some really fill a niche. But some grate
on your sensibilities. Do you have examples from English and other
languages?

Here is something funny to stimulate your thinking:

Frank Lingua, president and CEO of Dissembling Associates,
is the nation's leading purveyor of buzzwords, catch phrases
and clichés for people too busy to speak in plain English.
Business Finance contributing editor Dan Danbom interviewed
Lingua in his NYC office.

Danbom: Is being a cliché expert a full-time job?

Lingua: Bottom line is I have a full plate 24/7.

Danbom: Is it hard to keep up with the seemingly endless
supply of clichés that spew from business?

Lingua: Some days, I don't have the bandwidth. It's like
drinking from a fire hydrant.

Danbom: So it's difficult?

Lingua: Harder than nailing Jell-O to the wall.

Danbom: Where do most clichés come from?

Lingua: Stakeholders push the envelope until it's outside
the box.

Danbom: How do you track them once they've been coined?

Lingua: It's like herding cats.

Danbom: Can you predict whether a phrase is going to become
a cliché?

Lingua: Yes. I skate to where the puck's going to be.
Because if you aren't the lead dog, you're not providing a
customer-centric proactive solution.

Danbom: Give us a new buzzword that we'll be hearing ad
nauseam.

Lingua: 'Enronitis' could be a next-generation player.

Danbom: Do people understand your role as a cliché expert?

Lingua: No, they can't get their arms around that.  But they
aren't incented to.

Danbom: How do people know you're a cliché expert?

Lingua: I walk the walk and talk the talk.

Danbom: Did incomprehensibility come naturally to you?

Lingua: I wasn't wired that way, but it became mission-critical
as I strategically focused on my go-forward plan.

Danbom: What did you do to develop this talent?

Lingua: It's not rocket science. It's not brain surgery.
When you drill down to the granular level, it's just basic
blocking and tackling.

Danbom: How do you know if you're successful in your work?

Lingua: At the end of the day, it's all about robust,
world-class language solutions.

Danbom: How do you stay ahead of others in the buzzword
industry?

Lingua: Net-net, my value proposition is based on maximizing
synergies and being first to market with a leveraged, value-added
deliverable. That's the opportunity space on a level playing field.

Danbom: Does everyone in business eventually devolve into
the sort of mindless drivel you spout?

Lingua: If you walk like a duck and talk like a duck, you're
a duck. They all drink the Kool-Aid.

Danbom: Do you read 'Dilbert' in the newspaper?

Lingua: My knowledge base is deselective of fiber media.

Danbom: Does that mean 'no'?

Lingua: Negative.

Danbom: DOES THAT MEAN 'NO'?

Lingua: Let's take your issues offline.

Danbom: NO, WE ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE MY 'ISSUES' OFFLINE.

Lingua: You have a result-driven mind-set that isn't a
strategic fit with my game plan.

Danbom: I WANT TO PUSH YOUR FACE IN.

Lingua: Your call is very important to me.

Danbom: How can you live with yourself?

Lingua: I eat my own dog food. My vision is to monetize
scalable supply chains.

Danbom: When are you going to quit this?

Lingua: I may eventually exit the business to pursue other
career opportunities.

Danbom: I hate you.

Lingua: Take it and run with it.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM