[Lexicog] semantic extension

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri May 21 20:34:25 UTC 2004

Chaz,

Does the following "stiff upper lip" joke make you laugh?

          A young British officer was severely wounded in a fight with
Afghans on the Khyber Pass.
          Lying on stretcher with a huge spear sticking out of his chest he
was asked,

          "Are you in great pain, sir?"" Only when I laugh," he replied
gallantly!!

What happened to "lip" in the expression "stiff upper lip"? How is this
semantic

process called? Metaphorical extension?

Fritz

  Ja, Fritz, I keep a straight face until I laugh.

  -Chaz