[Lexicog] "googly" and metaphors of deception

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri May 21 21:28:05 UTC 2004

Chaz,

You seem to know what you are talking about. I hope your right hand is still
intact.
Power to your hand!

Havin' a ball,

Fritz

  Fritz, "playin' possum" is only for pretending one is asleep or dead.
Otherwise I think we would say "fox" or "sly fox".

  The equivalent of the googly in baseball is the screwball. The screwball
curves the "wrong" way. A good pitcher can baffle an opposing batter with
it. However, few pitchers throw it because of the damage it does to the arm.
A right-handed pitcher must spin his wrist to the left as he releases the
ball. A natural release would be to the right.

  If a person is called a screwball, he is just really weird. I guess he
spins or curves the wrong way!

  -Chaz