[Lexicog] "spin doctor"

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Sat May 22 14:28:41 UTC 2004

On 21/05/2004 11:58, Fritz Goerling wrote:

> Hi there, Patrick,
>
> As I am not a native speaker of English I believe you and Steve White,
> who said the same about this term coming from sports.
> As I play table tennis, I know what a top spin is. I don't know
> cricket but have heard about the term "googly" (through Peter Kirk,
> an Englishman on this list) which must refer to when you give the ball
> a strong spin.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Fritz

Fritz, you are good at bowling googlies, at least metaphorically.
Patrick's basic description is correct, but it's not quite fair to say
it is "deception" as it within the rules of the game. So the
metaphorical use on which I congratulate you is more a matter of asking
questions which, although perfectly proper, have a double edge which is
not immediately apparent.

Peter

--
Peter Kirk