[Lexicog] Master/Meister/Maestro

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Mon May 24 09:07:27 UTC 2004

Here are some usages in German :

Maestro: 1) famous director of an orchestra or theatre company
         2) ironic or sarcastic term of address for a presumptuous
            person who thinks he is a master
Meister (the German word):
         1) the highest degree among artisans:
         apprentice > journeyman > master
         2) champion: "master of all classes" = heavyweight champion
         3) ironic or sarcastic form of address

Fritz Goerling

Ken Hill wrote:

"Master" in colloquial Mexican Spanish has two forms: maestro [maistro],
a term of respect, as in reference to a symphony orchestra person, and
maestro (which I hear as [maistro]), which is appropriate in address to
an artisan (especially, in my experience, a mason) or schoolteacher,
the polite presumption being that the person is skilled at his/her
trade/profession.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM