[Lexicog] sounds animals make

Hayim Sheynin hsheynin at GRATZ.EDU
Mon May 24 18:09:43 UTC 2004

In the figure brackets and capitals I added corresponding verbs and nouns in
Russian.

            Hayim Y. Sheynin

-----Original Message-----
From: Fritz Goerling [mailto:Fritz_Goerling at sil.org]
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2004 6:03 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] sounds animals make

Wayne,

The words I inserted in caps show how close English and German are.

Fritz

Some languages, like English, have an extensive lexicon for characteristic
sounds made by different animals, e.g.

neigh, whinny  (WIEHERN) , snort  (SCHNAUBEN)  : horse
                                    Rus. {RZhAT’}

bark, growl: dog {LAYAT’, LAY}

howl  (HEULEN) : dog, coyote, wolf {VYT’, VOY}

grunt  (GRUNZEN) , snort: hog/pig  {KHRIUKAT’ }

chirp  (ZIRPEN) /sing  (SINGEN) : bird {CHIRIKAT’, PET’}

meow  (MIAUEN) : cat {MIAUKAT’}

cackle  (GACKERN) : chicken {KUDAKHTAT’; KUDAKHTAN’E}

crow  (KRÄHEN) : rooster {KUKUREKAT’; KUKUREKU}

laugh  (LACHEN) : hyena {SMEIAT’SIA}

low: cow {MYCHAT’; MYCHANIE; MU}

gobble: turkey {???}

quack: duck {KRIAKAT’}

honk: goose {only paraphrastic KRICHAT’ (shout); IZDAVAT’ ZVUKI (utter
sounds}; but the swan POIOT (SINGS) (at least once in his life)

Other languages, such as Cheyenne, have very few words for the sounds made
by specific animals. I only know of the word emaa'e 'he is barking' used of
a dog, for Cheyenne. Otherwise, other sounds of animals are covered by the
generic word enestoohe "he is making the sound."

How about for one or more languages you have researched? How extensive is
the vocabulary for characteristic sounds made by different animals? At this
point, I'm not asking for the onomatopoeic words mimicking the sounds made
by animals (e.g. English woof woof, cockle doodle doo) but that would be
another interesting collection.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language

*

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12951i1f9/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups
/S=1709195911:HM/EXP=1085392967/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:/companion
.yahoo.com> click here

:HM/A=2128215/rand=400625341>

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*         To visit your group on the web, go to:

*         To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

*         Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Service.