[Lexicog] What is considered "meat"?

Klaus Spreda klaus_spreda at SIL.ORG
Mon May 24 20:03:14 UTC 2004

In Metta, (Western Grassfields Bantu) the word nyam means "animal (generic)"
and "meat". The word is the same in all Grassfields Bantu languages. It is
one of those words which the whole area has in common.

see attachment for entries.

I have no data concerning the question raised beyond the specialized narrow
meaning of "meat from a chicken breast".

It may be of interest that the pidgin  (Cameroon and Nigeria variety)
equivalent of nyam is "beef". same range of meaning as nyam.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM