[Lexicog] offensive words in dictionaries

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 25 03:25:39 UTC 2004

We found much the same situation in Hopi: Body functions, including sexual
passions, are all OK to include in the dictionary. But we had to be very
careful though with things having to do with the ritual world. Lots of
comments relating to the weather and to what happens during ritual events
had to be omitted. I believe this did not result in the suppression of any
lexical item but it did constrain the example sentences that we used to
illustrate usage.

--Ken

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM