[Lexicog] polysynthetic languages and dictionaries

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Thu May 27 21:56:54 UTC 2004

thanks Bill,
why have a powerful lookup tool when the operations which emulate the
rules of the grammar are non-transparent to the dictionary user?  or is
this again a wrong impression?  i mean this as a harmless question as i
am just curious.  though i am no computational linguist, i would like
to "model" nez perce verb morphology someday as i think i am getting
closer to the core issues relating to the "rules" of composition and
concatenation.  however, in the nez perce scheme of things (i.e
polysynthesis: fusional) the morphology is tends to be more about the
syntax-semantic interface, not to mention the input-output to
phonological being just as complex if not more so.  the classic
polysynthetic mohawk model of noun-incorporation (via Baker) just does
not work for nez perce.

qó'c (later)
phil cash cash (cayuse/nez perce)
UofA