[Lexicog] polysynthetic languages and dictionaries

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Fri May 28 14:04:24 UTC 2004

phil cash cash wrote:

>...in the nez perce scheme of things (i.e
>polysynthesis: fusional) the morphology is tends to be more about the
>syntax-semantic interface, not to mention the input-output to
>phonological being just as complex if not more so.  the classic
>polysynthetic mohawk model of noun-incorporation (via Baker) just does
>not work for nez perce.

I confess I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.  Inflectional
morphology is typically about the lexical-syntactic interface, which is
perhaps what you mean by the syntax-semantic interface, but I'm not
clear what it is about Nez Perce that is unusual in this respect.  Could
you give some examples?

    Mike Maxwell

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM