[Lexicog] polysynthetic languages and dictionaries

Melissa Axelrod axelrod at UNM.EDU
Mon May 31 07:24:51 UTC 2004

Some examples of incorporation from Athabaskan:

Koyukon (Northern Athabaskan)

1a.   yeghedeegheenonh
's/he touched it'

1b.   betooghedeegheenonh
'water (too#) touched it'

1c.   hetleeghedaanoyh
's/he touches the area (ceiling) with her/his head, (tlee#)'

1d.   yekkaaghedeegheenonh
's/he touched it with her/his foot, (kkaa#)'

2a.   kk'oyeeltlaah
's/he handled her/him roughly, threw her/him around'

2b.   kk'o'elts'eeyhyeeltlaah
'he wind (eltseeyh#) is pushing him/her around'

Jicarilla Apache (Southern Athabaskan)

1.   Mitsáshii dádlomeesdzi'ee

      Mi + tsáshii                  dá + dlo + m + ee + s + dzi + 'ee

      3sg + on account of      emph + laughter + 3sgO + TAM + 1sg + be
full + emph

      'On account of her, I am full of laughter; she made me laugh'