[Lexicog] Doublespeak - more on "spin"

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Mon May 31 11:51:37 UTC 2004

Doublespeak (from the Internet - abbreviated and slightly modified)

The words listed here are ones that are often used by politicians and the
media to put spin on an idea. The following words mean almost the same
thing, but convey completely different images to the listener.

Affirmative Action / Racial Discrimination - Both mean "preferential
treatment for a particular race". However, the first is mandated by law and
the second in illegal.

Attack / Retaliation - When our country suffers a loss of life/property at
the hands of an enemy, it is called a cold-blooded attack. When our enemies
suffer a loss of life/property at our hands, it is called retaliation.

Campaign contribution / bribe - Is there any difference at all? In theory, a
bribe is a guarantee that a political payoff will result on a specified
action being taken by a politician. But a campaign contribution is not
supposed to contain such a quid pro quo. But why else would an organization
give $500,000 to a political candidate, if they didn't expect something in
return?

Civilian Casualties / Collateral damage - Other countries kill our own
citizens... Our side only damages their civilians.

Educated / Brainwashed - We "educate" ... Our opponents "brainwash".

Invasion / Military Police Action / Peacekeeping - All of these words can be
used to describe when one country puts troops in another land. The choice of
which word to use depends entirely on which country is performing this
action.

Revolution / Civil War - When the colonies revolted against oppression from
Britain, it was called a "revolution". When the south revolted against the
oppression of Washington DC, it was called a civil war. It all depends on
who wins the war. If the government wins, it is a civil war. If the citizens
win, it is a revolution.

Shell Shock / Combat Fatigue / Operational Exhaustion / Post-traumatic
stress disorder - The comedian George Carlin once pointed out how the way we
describe this condition has changed over the years. He pointed out how the
wording has changed to completely remove any connection with the horrors of
war from the name of the condition, even though it is the horrors of war
which is the direct cause of the condition.

Self-confident / Arrogant - Liberals are self-confident... because they are
dedicated to their beliefs. But, conservatives are arrogant because they are
dedicated to their beliefs.

Spend / Invest - Politicians aren't spending taxpayer money - they're
investing it.

Tax Cut / Tax Scheme - When one party proposes a tax cut, the opposing party
calls it a tax scheme. In the English language, the word scheme is normally
used to describe a plot to rip people off. It is not used to describe a plan
to let people keep what is theirs.

Visionary / unrealistic - All visionaries have been called unrealistic at
one time or another.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM