[Lexicog] Doublespeak: scheme

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon May 31 17:35:36 UTC 2004

>    Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 11:51:37 -0000
>    From: "Fritz Goerling" <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org>
> Subject: Doublespeak - more on "spin"
>
> Tax Cut / Tax Scheme - When one party proposes a tax cut, the opposing party
> calls it a tax scheme. In the English language, the word scheme is normally
> used to describe a plot to rip people off. It is not used to describe a plan
> to let people keep what is theirs.

This is a lexicographical issue, as well as a sociopolitical one. It is
obvious that this snip from the internet is from an American source,
attributing to "the English language" a meaning of "scheme" that is at
least largely US (I don't know about Canada and the rest of the
Commonwealth). In British English, "scheme" is commonly used for what in
American English would be "plan". Had Britain launched the Marshall Plan,
it would have been the "Marshall Scheme". Nothing nefarious is implied.
Lexicographers must always be alert to differences in regional varieties.

	Rudy

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM