[Lexicog] augmentation and reconstruction in editing

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Thu Nov 4 17:48:38 UTC 2004

Hi Jess,

It would help to know more of your situation. Is Yahgan an extinct language?
Is this why it is so difficult to sort out questions? If you are trying to
document an extinct language by compiling all the data available, then about
all you can do is create a best-guess entry and follow it up with a
discussion of the data. Most dictionaries of this sort will list variant
forms in the literature and cite the source. Dictionaries of ancient Greek
do this. Go to the following web site for an example of how Liddell and
Scott handle the Greek word praos/praus/preus 'gentle' and all the
spellings, misspellings, dialectal variants, and inflected forms.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057
%3Aentry%3D%2386189

They start each article by listing the attested forms with their
bibliographical references, then they list the meanings with example
sentences taken from the literature (also referenced). In this way the user
can evaluate the evidence for himself.

Ron Moe