[Lexicog] (Offlist) Re: are there any dictionaries with voice recognition

euangeleo euangeleo at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 6 07:02:19 UTC 2004

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "David Joffe"
<david.joffe at t...> wrote:
[snip]
> Not quite speech recognition attached to a dictionary, but I have
> heard of a multimedia Chinese course that included software that
> allowed a learner to practice his/her pronunciation by speaking into
> a microphone, and the software would analyse the waveform to
> determine if the person's pronunciation was good or not (e.g.
> whether he/she was getting the Chinese tones correct).

My wife has actually been using this program (or at least a program
that fits this description).  The one she has used is called "Learn
Chinese Now!", produced by Transparent Language (www.transparent.com),
and they apparently have packages for quite a few languages besides
just Mandarin.  She mentioned that this application was worked into
several components of the package, but she couldn't comment on that
aspect directly since she hadn't used it very much.  She thought that
it was restricted to telling you whether your pronunciation of the
tone was correct given a specific syllable prompt, rather than telling
you both the segmental and tonal information in a word that you
produced.  You might check out the website, though, if you're
interested in following this up.  We bought our copy used on Amazon
for a very reasonable price.

Eric Jackson
ejacks at humnet.ucla.edu
UCLA Dept of Linguistics