[Lexicog] Who Said What?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Fri Oct 1 21:36:24 UTC 2004

On 01/10/2004 09:27, Martin Hosken wrote:

>Dear John,
>

>>>Well, pine may give you Unicode some time. Indeed, according to
>>>http://www.suse.de/~bk/pine/FAQ.html there is a version which already
>>>does so, at least in a limited way. But Eudora will never give you
>>>Unicode, so don't go that way. I would recommend Mozilla, if that can
>>>run on your system. But I guess it is up to "them".
>>>

>Sorry to ask a silly question, but in a UTF8 shell, wouldn't pine give
>you UTF8 support, at least for reading messages (maybe not for editing,
>true)?

All I can say is that according to the web pages I found pine has some
problems even in a UTF8 shell. I think the reason was basically that it
doesn't recognise UTF-8 as a valid character set name, without the
patch. And then the problem with using a UTF-8 shell would be that
everything in it has to be UTF-8, and as pine doesn't know to convert
e.g. a CP1252 message to UTF-8 any characters above 128 would be
misinterpreted as UTF-8. But I wonder if pine can handle any messages in
a character set other than the one of its shell. Maybe the patch is to
include a proper converter from other character sets to UTF-8.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM