[Lexicog] RE: Query re keyboard re-mapping

Suzanne Wash suzannewash at YAHOO.COM
Sat Oct 2 02:49:56 UTC 2004

Dear Conor McDonough Quinn,

I, too, use Panther. I had the same problem as you and
finally solved it by downloading the DoulosSIL
IPA/Americanist Unicode-encoded font for the Mac.
There were some symbols it didn't have but which I
needed, and I found it very easy to modify the SIL
keyboard through Ukelele. Ukelele is a
freely-downloadable keyboarding program that is
available from the SIL computing website.

You can create an entirely new keyboard from scratch
using Ukelele and the Mac's keyboard palette, which is
what I used when I modified my the SIL keyboard to
make it better suited for my needs. With Ukelele you
can use practically any keystroke combinations you
want. It's fabulous.

Here is the URL for Ukelele:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ukelele

And here is the URL for the DoulosSIL Unicode-encoded
IPA/Americanist font if you don't have it already (it
is an alpha version):

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ipa-sil_keyboard

By the way, let me say thanks to all you SIL folks for
the terrific programs and expertise you so generously
make available. It is all very gratefully appreciated.
Thank you so much.

--Suzanne Wash

--- Conor McDonough Quinn <quinn at fas.harvard.edu>

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM