[Lexicog] The limits of illustrative sentences in bilingual dictionaries (the case of YES and JA)

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Mon Oct 18 11:48:25 UTC 2004

Fritz Goerling wrote:
> I wonder what a good, useful bilingual dictionary should include
> when it comes to illustrative sentences. What is too much and what
> is too little?

IIRC, there was some discussion of this topic in this list awhile
back--you might check the archives, although I don't think it explicitly
touched on the question of grammar vs. dictionary.

To my mind, one of the most useful discussions of example sentences is
in the Bartholomew/ Schoenhalls book on bilingual dictionaries that
SIL(?) published a couple decades ago.  Things like that don't change
over time (although of course an electonic dictionary connected to a
concordance generator and a large corpus would change what's
possible--but not, perhaps, the usefulness of having an expert
pre-select and arrange the best "hits").
--
	Mike Maxwell
	Linguistic Data Consortium
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu