[Lexicog] How to of XLT for KirrKirr

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Mon Oct 18 12:43:31 UTC 2004

Kenneth Keyes wrote:
> Good news!!! You can export your dictionary files to XML
 > format using Toolbox. Just choose File/Export/Add/Add
 > Process Type/XML and create a name for your process.

Just a warning: there's no guarantee that the XML will be correct, at
least in Shoebox.  (If Toolbox has made improvements in this area, I
would like to hear about it.)  If some of your SFMs are wrong (out of
order, missing), your XML will have errors in the same place.  This is
especially relevant if you have nested SFMs (such as multiple senses,
which may have individual POSs and/or example sentences under them) or
SFMs that logically form a block (such as an example sentence together
with its gloss in the glossing language(s)).  Although Shoebox has a
template mechanism, I have yet to see a Shoebox lexicon that doesn't
have these kinds of problems.

I wrote some programs to catch this kind of problem and mark up the SFM
lexicon with diagnostic messages.  There was a paper on it at LREC 2004.
  Unfortunately, I can't find my round tuit, so I haven't been able to
post the programs on the web.

Also, Shoebox doesn't give you a DTD or schema, although it might be
possible to create one automatically from the dictionary .typ file.  It
would be advisable to create such a DTD or schema before trying to do an
XSLT to turn it into KirrKirr's format.  There's a tutorial on getting
an XML dictionary into KirrKirr at
http://www-nlp.stanford.edu/kirrkirr/dictionaries/.  See also the
warnings for Shoebox export/import at
http://www-nlp.stanford.edu/kirrkirr/dictionaries/xmldictionary.html.