[Lexicog] Draining corpora

Patrick Hanks hanks at BBAW.DE
Tue Oct 19 15:21:17 UTC 2004

Hello Wayne,

How reliable are our intuitions? There's nothing odd about English "drain into".

How reliable is corpus data?

I work with two corpora  -- the British National Corpus (100 million words)
and Associated Press 1991-92 (150 million words).

There are 1651 occurrences of the verb drain in BNC, which include:

47   "drain into".
11   "drain out". (Surprisingly, no occurrences of "drain out of".)
161 "drain from".

In AP there are 1318 occurrences of the verb drain, which include:

53  "drain into".
43  "drain out (of)".

The meaning seems to be affected by the choice of preposition --
"tributaries draining into the Colorado River" --  but "the blood drained
from his face".  (Where did it drain into - his boots? Wrong question!)

FrameNet has this verb in the Removing and Emptying frames. Both
frames specify frame elements Source - Path - Goal.

It may be more accurate to say that in draining we conceptualize the
flow from source to goal and that either source or goal or both may be
thematized explicitly.

Patrick