[Lexicog] Draining corpora

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue Oct 19 20:44:23 UTC 2004

What happens when brain drain occurs?

Fritz Goerling

  Hello Wayne,

  How reliable are our intuitions? There's nothing odd about English "drain
into".

  How reliable is corpus data?

  I work with two corpora  -- the British National Corpus (100 million
words)
  and Associated Press 1991-92 (150 million words).

  There are 1651 occurrences of the verb drain in BNC, which include:

  47   "drain into".
  11   "drain out". (Surprisingly, no occurrences of "drain out of".)
  161 "drain from".

  In AP there are 1318 occurrences of the verb drain, which include:

  53  "drain into".
  43  "drain out (of)".

  The meaning seems to be affected by the choice of preposition --
  "tributaries draining into the Colorado River" --  but "the blood drained
  from his face".  (Where did it drain into - his boots? Wrong question!)

  FrameNet has this verb in the Removing and Emptying frames. Both
  frames specify frame elements Source - Path - Goal.

  It may be more accurate to say that in draining we conceptualize the
  flow from source to goal and that either source or goal or both may be
  thematized explicitly.

  Patrick