[Lexicog] Draining corpora

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Wed Oct 20 13:31:46 UTC 2004

Could the prototypical scenario be "depletion" or "loss"?
And what would the prototypical antonym be?
For "brain drain" as depletion or loss of intellectual and technical
personnel,
the neat "brain gain" has been coined. I think it is neat for it's
punchiness
and it rhymes. But "gain" evokes an idea different from "drain".

Fritz Goerling

  Ron Moe said:
  We may be trying to be a bit more specific with the meaning of 'drain'
than
  we should be. As with many words, 'drain' activates a prototypical
scenario.
  Various aspects of the scenario can be commented on:

  1. The bathroom sink is draining slowly.
  2. I think I've got the sink fixed. At least the water is draining now.
  3. You forgot to drain the water in the sink.
  4. This is the pipe that drains the sink.

---