[Lexicog] Draining corpora

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Wed Oct 20 18:16:22 UTC 2004

John,

I'll buy your/Levin's explanation of the transitive/intransitive pairings as
a general rule that is applied to certain semantic classes. But this does
not explain (1) the sink drains, or (4) the pipe drains. Nor does it explain
(5) the child is safe, (6) the beach is safe, (7) the shovel is safe. And
your explanation also runs into problems with counter examples such as:

(8) The bread cut easily once I sharpened the knife. (I cut, the knife cuts,
the bread cuts)

These examples appear to show that any major actant can get promoted to
subject. I doubt that is a general rule applicable to any verb or adjective.
But what permits which actants to be promoted with which predicates? Or is
that even what is going on here? I'll look up Levin's book and see if she
sheds any light on the subject.

My purpose is not to argue the details of syntax, but to have a principled
way of knowing if (1) I need to write multiple definitions for every verb
that permits such patterns, (2) there is a way to word a definition to
handle this, (3) I can formulate rules that could go in a grammar sketch, or
(4) my understanding of semantics is so flawed that I am blundering around
in the dark.

Ron Moe