[Lexicog] Bai and variant words

Patrick Chew patchew at BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Oct 22 03:20:26 UTC 2004

Hey there, Bryan -

         So,... my first comment upon reading your post is... what are you
using as standard... if you're using Kunming or Dali Bai, you probably
*will* want to include lexical items from the rest of the major Bai
dialects only because most data from larger metro areas are heavily
sinicized, which is in many ways divergent from the  rest of non-metro
Bai... which  may include many Bai who have come  from less sinicized areas
into larger metro areas... If you take a look at the Baiyu Jianzhi [Sketch
on the Bai language], they provide wordlsits for the three major dialect
areas, so... it'd be good to include that...
         I'm assuming you're using the pinyin devised for Bai... right?

cheers,
-Patrick

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM